Our hands are our most under appreciated tool. It's amazing how much they do. It's also amazing how relaxing a simple hand massage can be! This is great for couples to build emotional connection. Also great for parents of teenagers. This can really help you stay connected with them.
Some interesting facts about hands. Each hand contains:
*30 named arteries
*Your thumb alone contains 9 individual muscles and 3 major nerves. The movements of the thumb are so complex that there are six different terms which describe it’s movements.
*Almost 90 per cent of women and 80 per cent of men in the age group 75-79 years have x-ray evidence of osteoarthritis in their hands
The hand is one of the most overworked and underappreciated parts of the human body. Including the hand as part of your regular self-care routing can have some measurable benefits.
One of the primary benefits of massage is increasing blood flow to certain areas of the body. Not only does this remove metabolic waste from muscle activity but it brings fresh oxygenated blood to the muscles. In the hand, this is especially important for people who work at a computer. The repetitive motion of the mouse and keyboard and create fatigue and strain in the soft tissue of the hand and fingers. This is especially true for people who suffer from Raynaud’s Syndrome. Regular treatment of the hand (or feet), along with other forms of treatment like medication, can greatly abate the pain and suffering from this ailment. Massage is also effective at stopping a Raynaud’s attack once it starts.
2. Increased Range Of MotionMuscles and soft tissue can shorten with repetitive use. This can come from working at a computer, working with tools, or playing an instrument. This shortening can create scar tissue with can cause compression on the nerves of the hand and wrist (carpal tunnel). It can also create a condition known as “trigger finger”.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, in 2006, 46 million Americans—nearly one in five adults—were suffering from some form of arthritis. Regular hand and wrist massage can reduce pain and improve your grip strength. Even people who don’t have arthritis can benefit from hand massage. People who work at jobs that require repetitive use of the hands and wrist, find that regular massage can help reduce or eliminate pain and reduced range of motion.
Increased Range Of Motion
Muscles and soft tissue can shorten with repetitive use. This can come from working at a computer, working with tools, or playing an instrument. This shortening can create scar tissue with can cause compression on the nerves of the hand and wrist (carpal tunnel). It can also create a condition known as “trigger finger”.
How to Give a Hand Massage
1. Clasp your fingers together and rub the heels of your palms together in a circular motion. This will be the blood flowing through the hand and help warm it up.
2. With your hands still clasped, take one thumb and massage the area just below your other thumb in a circular motion moving outward to the center of the palm.
3. Unclasp your fingers and use your right thumb and index finger to gently knead your palms, wrists, and the webbing between your fingers on your left hand then lightly pull each finger for 1-2 seconds at a time.
4. Repeat step 3 using your left hand to massage your right hand.
Bala Cynwyd Address
200 W. Baltimore AVE
Media, PA 19063